Leatherhead’s team of specialists are on hand to help you with every step. To experience the whole journey why not watch our short film?
We employ a multi-disciplinary, concept-to-market approach (Regulatory/Process Optimisation/Sensory) to investigate the microbiological safety of raw and processed foods, and the methods and processes used to control pathogens and spoilage micro-organisms, in a wide variety of foodstuffs.
Leatherhead is able to carry out systematic reviews and real time evaluations of the efficacy, applicability and appropriateness of different groups of antimicrobial compounds (e.g. bacteriocins, lactoferrins, lactates, plant extracts, e.t.c.) on a laboratory and pilot plant scale, advice you on their regulatory status, their labelling implications and impact on the sensory properties of your products.
We are also exploring plant and marine ingredients as alternative sources of food preservatives and have established collaborations and partnerships with Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK and Aquapharm Biodiscovery, Scotland, UK.
Key service features:
- Antimicrobial compounds of plant and microbial origin
- Antimicrobial susceptibility: method development and validation
- Design of antimicrobial screening trials
- Extensive culture collection
- Regulatory/legislation expertise (including novel foods)
- Climatic-controlled storage facilities
- Measurement of changes in sensory profile and consumer acceptability
- Confirmation of shelf life
- Impact on bioavailability
- Evaluation of alternative and modified processes
- Evaluate the efficacy of antimicrobial screening protocols: method validation and development
- Identify alternative preservatives to benzoates and sorbates and evaluate their efficacy in different beverages matrices
- Compare the antimicrobial properties of different preservatives and their effects on the shelf-life of breads
- Develop and evaluate an antimicrobial combination able to enhance the shelf-life of fresh and processed poultry meat
- Evaluate the anti-Listeria properties of certain antimicrobials in ready-to-eat products
To learn more about our Food Preservation services may benefit you please contact us.