Legal labels and EU food law – helping you develop compliant food labels and products
Course Code: 024Z2
Date: 25-27 April 2017
Location: Great Burgh, Epsom, UK
Member price (Day 1, 2 & 3): £1295 + VAT
Member price (Day 1 & 2): £895 + VAT
Non Member price (Day 1, 2 & 3): £1555 + VAT
Non Member price (Day 1 & 2): £1165 + VAT
Leatherhead's three-day Legal labels and EU food law course provides you with comprehensive training on EU food labelling and other legislation applicable to food product compliance. You will be given a unique overview of all relevant EU food regulatory areas, including two days focusing on labelling rules, followed by a day on key controls for product compliance such as food safety, additive controls, contaminants and food contact materials.
Emphasis is given to the application of current and upcoming EU food law, while highlighting non-harmonised areas, additional national rules and differences in interpretation. Leatherhead’s regulatory experts will use an interactive approach to explain how you can identify, keep up-to-date with and apply relevant legislation and guidance as an aid to both new product development and legality of current product ranges.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to discuss and comment on challenging regulatory issues, such as the Union lists on food additives and flavourings, the EU food information to consumers (FIC) provisions, as well as how to comply with EU nutrition and health claims requirements.
The FIC Regulation has introduced considerable changes to nearly all food labels in the EU, including nutrition information, origin labelling, the manner of allergen labelling and minimum font size. Experienced tutors will make use of relevant examples and practical exercises to provide delegates with a thorough understanding of key labelling ‘problem’ areas.
Day 1 (Mandatory labelling): will focus on how to ensure the compliance of a food and drink label with the mandatory requirements of the Food Information to Consumers Regulation (EU) 1169/2011 (FIC).
Day 2 (Labelling claims): addresses voluntary aspects of labelling, such as nutrition & health claims and marketing statements.
Day 3 (EU food law): covers an introduction to the general principles of EU food law and key areas related to food safety and formulation compliance such as hygiene controls, novel foods, genetically modified foods, contaminants, food contact materials, pesticides, radioactivity and food improvement agents (food additives, enzymes, flavourings) with a practical workshop on how to check the acceptability of these agents in foods. Includes examples of non-harmonised areas of EU food legislation to give you an appreciation of Member State national differences.
Topics covered include:
- General principles and application of EU food law
- Divergent national food legislation
- Mandatory labelling information
(including product descriptions, ingredient listing, allergen labelling, nutrition information and quantity marking)
- Nutrition & health claims and fortification
- Marketing claims
- Product specific standards and labelling
- Food safety and hygiene controls
- Food additives and flavourings
- How to find food legislation and guidance
- Interactive workshops on additives and labelling
From this course you will:
- Receive an introduction to the challenges of managing the EU and national regulatory requirements to ensure product compliance
- Get updated on the latest EU food legislation requirements
- Gain a thorough understanding of food labelling rules and industry issues including nutrition and health claims and allergens
- Receive guidance from Leatherhead’s regulatory consultants on applying your knowledge in practice
- Consolidate your learning in interactive sessions
Who should attend?
- New starters/returnees in regulatory compliance roles
- Regulatory, NPD and technical managers who wish to ensure their knowledge is up-to-date
- Enforcement officers with food standards responsibilities
- Anybody in the food industry with responsibility for product compliance and label sign off
Great Burgh is located on the outskirts of Epsom, Surrey, easily accessible via road or train.
Hotels: Follow the link for further information on variety of local hotels to suit all budgets.
Book your place here
Fill in the form below and someone will be in contact shortly to confirm and process your booking.