Legal labels and EU food law – helping you develop compliant food labels and products
Course Code: 024C2
Date: 15 June - 10 July, 2020
Duration: 4-week online course
Member price: £1,100 + VAT (early bird rate £995 + VAT)
Non Member price: £1,300 + VAT (early bird rate £1,195 + VAT)
Groups: For bookings for five or more delegates, please contact us directly for discounts and the opportunity to tailor the sessions to your organisation.
Leatherhead's Legal Labels and EU Food Law course provides you with comprehensive training on EU food labelling and other legislation applicable to food product compliance. You will be given a unique overview of all relevant EU food regulatory areas, including a focus on labelling rules applicable in the UK and other Member States, followed by key controls for product compliance such as food safety, additive controls, contaminants and food contact materials.
To ensure our clients have access to high-quality training whilst travel restrictions and social distancing are in force, we have moved our Legal Labels course online. We intend to resume running on-site courses at our Great Burgh site when it is safe to do so.
Our online Legal Labels training covers the same content as our usual on-site course with a more flexible approach to learning. Each week you can work though the learning materials at your own pace and join interactive sessions with our regulatory experts.
Mandatory labelling: will focus on how to ensure the compliance of a food and drink label with the mandatory requirements of the Food Information to Consumers Regulation (EU) 1169/2011 (FIC).
Labelling claims: addresses voluntary aspects of labelling, such as nutrition and health claims and marketing statements.
EU food law: covers an introduction to the general principles of EU food law and key areas related to food safety and formulation compliance such as hygiene controls, novel foods, genetically modified foods, contaminants, food contact materials, pesticides and food improvement agents (food additives, enzymes, flavourings) with a session on how to check the acceptability of these agents in foods.
Topics covered include:
- General principles and application of EU food law
- Divergent national food legislation
- Mandatory labelling information
(including product descriptions, ingredient listing, allergen labelling, nutrition information and quantity marking)
- Nutrition & health claims and fortification
- Marketing claims
- Product specific standards and labelling
- Food safety and hygiene controls
- Food additives and flavourings
- How to find food legislation and guidance
- Interactive workshops on additives and labelling
From this course you will:
- Receive an introduction to the challenges of managing the EU and national regulatory requirements to ensure product compliance
- Get updated on the latest EU food legislation requirements
- Gain a thorough understanding of food labelling rules and industry issues including nutrition and health claims and allergens
- Receive guidance from Leatherhead’s regulatory consultants on applying your knowledge in practice
- Get the opportunity to discuss challenging regulatory issues such as the Union lists on food additives & flavourings, and the EU food information to consumers (FIC) provisions
- Learn from expert tutors how to make use of relevant examples and practical exercises to understand key labelling ‘problem’ areas
- Consolidate your learning in interactive sessions
Who should attend?
- New starters/returnees in regulatory compliance roles
- Regulatory, NPD and technical managers who wish to ensure their knowledge is up-to-date
- Enforcement officers with food standards responsibilities
- Anybody in the food industry with responsibility for product compliance and label sign off
This is the first of our courses that we are moving online to ensure our clients can continue to access our quality training. The online format provides flexibility so you can work through weekly learning materials at your own pace prior to scheduled interactive sessions with our experts.
Recent delegate testimonials:
“I enjoyed most the workshops and quizzes because it makes sure our ability to solve problems that we face in our work”
“Thanks for the very good training and nice 3 days”
“Workshops excellent as a way to put theory into practice. Nutrition section also really informative”
Register your interest and book
Fill in the form below and someone will be in contact shortly to confirm and process your booking.