Who we are
Leatherhead works with global, leading companies in the Food and Beverage sector to deliver radical new technology and product innovations. We apply multidisciplinary teams to look at the fundamental scientific principles involved, before proving our ideas will work in the real world through advanced laboratory experimentation and a thorough regulatory assessment.
Together with our sister companies Sagentia and Oakland Innovation, we are seen as the foremost ‘one-stop provider’ for the food and beverage sector, helping our clients to understand and address the grand challenges in the industry. Recent projects include-
• Improving sustainability through radical packaging innovations
• Reinventing well-known food brands to help reduce unhealthy (e.g. sugar) or unsustainable (e.g palm oil) ingredients without compromising on taste.
• Delighting consumers by delivering something they’ve never seen before, like a 3D food printer.
Leatherhead is part of Science Group plc, which has a global reach with a multinational and multicultural workforce spanning the U.K., Europe and North America that fuels our success. We look for exceptional hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
Food and Beverage innovation is one of our major growth areas and we’re looking to build an exciting multidisciplinary team focusing on the application of cutting edge science to face the big challenges in the food and beverage sector.
We are looking for a skilled and dynamic chemist with at least 5 years experience in Food and Beverage and/or FMCG/CPG innovation. You will be expected to take the lead on projects and encourage the team to think laterally about how to solve a food innovation challenge, moving beyond what’s been done before in order to apply radically different chemistries to ingredients and packaging. You would also be expected to liaise with our sensory and consumer insights team to link your laboratory ideas to things consumers really care about (e.g. taste), and also with our engineering teams to develop entirely new analytical methods for verifying the new chemistries you invent. You will be working directly with our clients and the wider industry as a key thought leader for advanced innovation.
The team are expanding rapidly, creating exciting career opportunities. You will work with our clients and the wider industry as a key thought leader for advanced innovation in formulation and packaging.
• Successfully run and deliver on client projects and programmes, optimally coordinating the team and resources
• Act as a domain expert and thought leader, championing internally and externally Sagentia’s capabilities
• Actively manage and mentor project team members, supporting their growth and development
• Play an active role in business development activities, including proposal preparation, thought-leadership and wider marketing activities
We are looking for an experienced chemist who will bring proven experiences of building and leading R&D focused engagements in either the Food and Beverage sector, or adjacent industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetic, personal care, home care or other FMCGs.
You will have a passion and curiosity for solving problems with the capacity to think and act creatively whilst bringing the rigour and skill needed to deliver highly technical and impactful engagements. You will have either a strong pure chemistry or formulation chemistry background with consultancy experience and looking for the challenge of working in a consultancy and managing complex projects for external clients.
Skills & requirements
• An academic background (PhD or equivalent) in chemistry
• Proven project management skills with the ability to foster deep relationships both with colleagues, clients and stake-holders
• Strong influencing and persuasion skills, and ideally experience of working directly with customers either internal customers/stakeholders or external customers
• Exemplary written skills with the ability to create compelling and insightful narratives.
• A passion for innovation
• Positive and proactive towards challenges
• A flexible approach to work; as you may occasionally be required to both travel and work outside of normal hours
• Exceptional communication skills with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
• Able to work autonomously and independently as required
We are committed to career development and make a focussed effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.