Global regulatory advice
Navigating the global regulatory environment for food & beverage is not straightforward. Food law has evolved hugely in the last two decades and looks set to continue to do so. Keeping abreast of global regulatory developments and their impact on specific products and processes is challenging for all working in food and drink manufacture, retail and service. Understanding and implementing international food law also brings the additional challenges of language and cultural barriers.
Leatherhead Food Research’s global regulatory services team provides you and the world of food and drink with an unparalleled global food regulatory advisory service covering more than 100 countries. Our multilingual team of more than 30 regulatory experts covers over 20 languages, including Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Russian and Hebrew, helping you to understand, interpret and stay compliant with local food regulations. In addition, we’ve recently expanded our international coverage to include Turkish, Korean, Malaysian and Indonesian speaking regulatory advisors.
Our key areas of focus include:
Internationalisation strategies: many of our clients are looking to expand into new geographies globally without having large local regulatory teams and so want us to advise on how best to plan centrally to meet local regulatory requirements. We can help organisations wishing to pilot in certain territories or to fast track into new markets.
Current and emerging regulation: we advise our clients on new and upcoming regulation that we know is in the pipeline and how it will impact their product portfolios.
Regulation compilation: we compile extensive reference databases for our clients providing them with comparable reference points.
Core regulatory areas include:
- Food and nutrition labelling
- Nutrition and health claims
- Marketing claims
- Novel foods (including support with dossier preparation)
- Genetically modified foods/food ingredients
- Food additives (including support with dossier preparation)
- Flavourings food supplements
- Food Fortification Foods for Specific Groups (formally PARNUTS)
- Pesticides and maximum residue limits
- Contaminant maximum levels
- Compositional standards
- Materials and articles intended for food contact use
- Food safety and hygiene provisions
- Truly global service – languages, regulatory knowledge, cultural insight, local nuances, engagement with local regulators
- Meaningful interpretation of regulation with a view to helping you comply in order to bring products to market more quickly
- Regulatory advice informed by a deep scientific background
- Proactive alerts to upcoming and/or changing regulation/legislation
- Regulatory offerings are underpinned by other Leatherhead services in sensory, consumer insight and product innovation